Explore the Adirondacks year-round
It’s always the right season to enjoy outdoor activities in Lake Placid. As the seasons change, so does the landscape and how we use it. Discover the beauty and ruggedness that is purely Adirondack.
Winter and spring activities in the Adirondacks
There's nothing like winter in Lake Placid. The weather cools, the snow falls, and we find ourselves excited to enjoy a whole new set of Adirondack outdoor activities. Spring ushers in a rich, lush green landscape as the snow thaws, and with it comes the promise of both winter and summer activities.
What to do
- Ice climb using crampons and ice axes, or watch climbers from around the region scale the frozen rocks. Our amazing area guides offer guided beginner trips, so anyone willing and able can give it a try.
- Miles of frozen lakes make for a vast ice fishing paradise, with shanties scattered over the ice.
- Runners trade in sneakers for cross-country skis and snowshoes.
- Skiers and snowboarders carve the slopes of Whiteface Mountain and the expansive Adirondack backcountry.
- Ice skaters take to the Olympic Oval for public skate and Mirror Lake to enjoy a friendly game of hockey, or ski the new loop.
- Popular attractions such as High Falls Gorge take on a whole new look as the ice formations transform the rocks and cliffs into glistening sculptures.
Summer and fall in the Adirondacks
Summer is Lake Placid’s most popular season with its sunny days and warm temperatures. It's closely followed by our not-to-be-missed fall, a stunning season rich with vibrant colors and panoramic mountain views. Here in Lake Placid, locals and visitors alike savor spending their days taking in the great outdoors.
What to do
- Kayak, canoe, or paddleboard on Mirror Lake.
- Hit the links on one of the scenic Lake Placid golf courses.
- Sleep under the stars at a primitive backcountry campsite or rent a spot at a campground.
- Road bike a panoramic mountain loop.
- Camp at a remote island lean-to.
- Rock climb a rugged Adirondack cliff to that incredible one-of-a-kind view.
- Hike — Lake Placid’s most popular activity — and explore miles of marked hiking trails.
There are many family activities in Lake Placid. Discover outdoor Adirondack recreation for all ages and abilities. Whether you’re an avid boater, paddler, birder, hiker, biker, fisher, golfer, hunter, climber, or outdoorsman or woman, or just want to give it a try, Lake Placid has all of the tools for you to create that perfect outdoor day.
Make your trip effortless
Save the effort for the activities while you're here! Anyone can get out and enjoy these activities with the help of a professional guide. You know the saying “When in Rome”? Well, when in Lake Placid, get out in it and book the adventure of a lifetime.
No matter the season the possibilities are endless — and your perfect day in Lake Placid can be whatever you make it. Use our online lodging tool to book your reservation online. It's so easy you can book today!