The Olympic legacy continues in Lake Placid
The 1980 Winter Olympics, officially known as the XIII Olympic Winter Games, was celebrated from February 13 - 24, 1980 right here in Lake Placid! This was the second time the village hosted the Games and the magnificence of the event was unmatched. The heroics of the U.S. men's Olympic hockey team’s improbable win over the Russians, known as the “Miracle on Ice,” and speed skater Eric Heiden’s five gold medals helped make the 1980 Lake Placid Games one for the ages, one with an enduring legacy.
Past, present, and future
Lake Placid will be celebrating athletes from the original winter games and athletes moving towards Olympic goals all week long -- the exact week that the 1980 Winter Olympics took place.
The Olympic legacy lives on in Lake Placid
Celebrate the 40th Anniversary with events such as a torch run, 1980's trivia games, and themed parties. Watch Disney's "Miracle" movie based on the infamous gold medal hockey game. Meet select medalists who have competed in multiple Winter Games. No one in the community will be left out of the celebration -- the entire village, including the Olympic venues, will be on full display.
Check out the list of events and stay up-to-date on the fun and games:
Thursday, February 13
Olympic Museum Exhibit Opening, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m., Olympic Center. Join us to kick off the anniversary of the 1980 Olympics with a fun throwback night of festivities and to celebrate Roni Raccoon's 40th Birthday! A free, public reception will be held to view our two new exhibits: "Totally 80 - Exploring the Look of the Games" and "Foretelling the Future - The National Weather Service at the Lake Placid Olympic Winter Games." Special themed cocktails and appetizers will be available and 1980's attire is suggested for this totally tubular event! The first 80 visitors who attend will receive an original 1980 ticket.
Friday, February 14
- American Cup Short Track Speed Skating. Watch the precision and excitement of international short track speed skating, 2 pm-6 pm Olympic Center
- Torch Run 5 p.m., Saranac Avenue to Cascade Road via Main Street and Sentinel Road
- Opening Ceremony, 5:45 pm., Horse Show Grounds. This event will include speeches, fireworks, and the torch lighting at 6:15. Presented in partnership with Hurley Brothers Fuel.
Saturday, February 15
- Skate With Your Heart, R. Dennis Allen Cardiac Prevention Fund Free Skate, 10 a.m., Olympic Center
- Learn to Curl! 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. at the Mirror Lake Beach House
- Meet the Athletes - Luge. Interact with past, present, and future luge athletes, hear their stories and learn about the sport. Includes photo opportunities and autograph session! 12 p.m., Olympic Sports Complex at Mt. Van Hoevenberg - Lamy Lodge
- American Cup Short Track Speed Skating. Watch the precision and excitement of international short track speed skating, 2:00 p.m. - 7:45 p.m., Olympic Center
- "Fun Zone," Mid's Park, 4 - 6 p.m. Sponsored by NBT Bank. Hot cocoa, s'mores, and more!
- 1980 Memories. Come share your memories of the 1980 Olympics! 7 p.m. - 9 p.m., Hotel North Woods, Cabin Room
Sunday, February 16
- American Cup Short Track Speed Skating. Watch the precision and excitement of international short track speed skating, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m., Olympic Center
- Discover Biathlon with Olympian Tim Burke. 1 p.m., Mt Van Hoevenberg Olympic Center
- "Fun Zone," Mid's Park, 4 - 6 p.m. Sponsored by Shipman Youth Center.
- 1980's trivia night, 7 p.m., Conference Center at Lake Placid. Sponsored by the Rotary Club of Lake Placid.
Monday, February 17
- "Fun Zone," Mid's Park, 4 - 6 p.m. Sponsored by New York Ski Educational Foundation
- Lake Placid's Olympic Legacy: An Athlete's Perspective. Past, present, and future athletes and Olympic medalists gather to share their memories and experiences, Lake Placid Center for the Arts, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, February 18
- "Fun Zone," Mid's Park, 4 - 6 p.m. Sponsored by Fitness Revolution.
- Sk8 To Eliminate Cancer, with Scott Hamilton 3 - 5 p.m., Olympic Oval
- Dream on, 40th Anniversary Skating Gala. Check out the entire event that begins at 10 a.m. and is full of skating fun all day long! Gala begins at 8 p.m.
Wednesday, February 19
- Last Chair at Whiteface with Olympians Andrew Weibrecht and Thomas Vonn. Take a run or two with Olympians Andrew Weibrecht and Thomas Vonn! Then join them at the Cloudspin Lounge for refreshments and 80's music with Sound King DJ. 2:30 p.m., sponsored by Whiteface/NYSEF
- "Fun Zone," Mid's Park, 4 - 6 p.m. Sponsored by Lake Placid Baptist Church.
- Disney's "Miracle" movie, 7 p.m., Palace Theatre. There will be free popcorn! Maybe even a guest appearance by an 80s hockey player(s)! Sponsored by Elderwood at Uihlein.
Thursday, February 20
- Meet the Athletes - Bobsled. Interact with past, present, and future bobsled athletes. Includes photo opportunities and autograph session. 12:00 p.m., Olympic Sports Complex at Mt. Van Hoevenberg.
- "Fun Zone," Mid's Park, 4 - 6 p.m. Sponsored by Pure Placid.
Friday, February 21
- "Fun Zone," Mid's Park, 4 - 6 p.m. Sponsored by Regional Office of Sustainable Tourism.
- 80s Family Fun Party, 7:00 p.m., Olympic Jumping Complex. There will be music, dancing, a DJ, food, fireworks, Skyrides to the 120m jump and special appearances by ski jumpers!
Saturday, February 22
- Arts, Crafts, and Meet & Greet with Olympian Dan Jansen, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m., Lake Placid Library. Create art, play games, and share stories.
- Meet the Athletes - Skeleton. Interact with past, present, and future skeleton athletes, hear their stories, and learn about the sport. There will be photo opportunities and an autograph session. 12:00 p.m., Olympic Sports Complex - Lamy Lodge.
- Vintage 1980 Wine Tasting, 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m., Terry Robards Wine & Spirits
- Book Signing with Author Mike Burgess, 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m., The Bookstore Plus, Main Street.
- Book Signing with Author Wayne Coffey, 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., The Bookstore Plus, Main Street.
- "Fun Zone," Mid's Park, 4 - 6 p.m. Sponsored by 93.3/102.1 The MIX and Adirondack 105
- Perseverance and Perspective with Dan Jansen, 7:00 p.m., High Peaks Resort. Hear inspirational stories and meet 4-time Olympian Dan Jansen! Talk is followed by meet and greet.
- 80's Dance Party. 7:30 p.m., Wise Guys Sports Bar & Grill. Wear your best 80's outfit. Music, Dancing and Prizes. $4 cover, all proceeds going to the R.Dennis Allen Cardiac Prevention Fund.
Sunday, February 23
- Lake Placid Baptist Church Special 40th Anniversary Service: "Olympic Beginnings, The Birth of a Church." 10:15 a.m.
- Community Artifact Night. Artifact sharing and storytelling connected to the 1980 Olympics. Bring your Olympic treasures! 6:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m., Conference Center at Lake Placid.
- Dale of Norway Trunk Show, Ruthie's Run, all day Friday — Sunday. Includes special 40th anniversary design!
- Pub Crawl to local taverns, details soon! Commemorative pint glasses at participating locations. Collect the entire series! Brought to you by Lake Placid Craft Brewers.
Come to the town where Miracles happen and the legacy lives on!