Seymour Mountain is the stand alone peak of the Seward Range and located on the opposite side of Ouluska Pass and separated from Seward, Donaldson and Emmons by a very deep valley. For 90% of the hikers it is climbed on a separate day than the other three High Peaks in the Seward Range, but the other 10% they push themselves to the limits and manage to grab all four.
How to get there
From Lake Placid, follow Route 86 toward Saranac Lake. Once in Saranac Lake, turn left onto Route 3 and stay on this route toward Tupper Lake. Stay on Route 3 for 12.5 miles. Then, turn left onto Corey's Road. Follow Corey's Road for 2.5 miles, until it turns into Ampersand Road. Stay the course and continue along the gravel road for another 3.0 miles. A parking lot is on the right.
Be advised, in winter, this road either A) may not be maintained or B) closed due to logging. Please check with local guides or outfitters to see if Corey's Road is open.
By the numbers
- Elevation: 4,120-feet
- Elevation gain: approximately 2,355 feet
- Distance: approximately 14 miles, round trip
- Seymour is High Peak #34
- Follow Leave No Trace principles
With an open rock ledge just beyond the summit, you will have outstanding views of the ridge, Ouluska Pass, and Long Lake located to the south. Outstanding views also reside off the back side of the summit for additional views into the pass. The herd-path is very remote and some of the most difficult snowshoeing in the Adirondack Park.
There is really only one route up this peak and that is along drainage to the north. The initial portion of the hike is along a well-used trail which can be very busy during the summer months. This trail is mostly uphill, but very gradually so. Rolling hills will keep your pace at check. After 4.5 miles you will come to the Ward Brook Truck Trail. Take a right here and continue over soft rolling hills along an old wood road. Just past the Ward Brook lean-to on your right, look for the Seymour herd-path – it will be marked with a cairn at its side.
The herd path starts out moderate and follows an attractive brook but quickly becomes much steeper and then continuously steep up the shoulder of the peak. The footing is very tough and steep and in many cases extremely slippery, be extra careful on the descent. The final approach to the summit mellows out a bit, but opens up a couple stellar views from a couple viewing platforms. Don’t miss the view from a ledge about 0.1 miles below the top. Move over the summit a bit, to additional viewing out over the scrub spruce.
A winter outing to Seymour can be incredibly challenging. In winters when logging is active, the road closes to to vehicle traffic. You now must park at Raquette Falls, adding an additional 8.6 miles round-trip to your snowshoe or cross-country ski. The marked trails may be suitable for cross-country skiing, but the herd paths are too steep.
At time ice buildup can happen on the steeper slabs of the trail where traction is tough; be sure to have traction devices and snowshoes when required.