Lake Placid Outdoor Recreation
Year-round exploration in the Adirondacks
It’s always the right season to enjoy outdoor activities in Lake Placid. As the seasons change winter, spring, summer, fall, so does the landscape and how we use it. Each season brings in new life and new ways to enjoy what Lake Placid has to offer and it keeps us coming back for more. Discover the beauty and ruggedness that is purely Adirondack.
Summer & Fall in the Adirondacks
Summer is Lake Placid’s most popular season with sunny days and warm temperatures, closely followed by our not to be missed stunning fall rich with foliage of vibrant colors and panoramic mountain views. Here in Lake Placid locals and visitors alike savor spending their day's taking in the great outdoors.
Ideas of what to do in Lake Placid during summer and fall:
- Kayak or paddle-board on Mirror Lake.
- Hit the links on one of the scenic Lake Placid golf courses.
- Road bike a panoramic mountain loop.
- Camp at a remote island lean-to.
- Rock climb a rugged Adirondack cliff to that incredible one-of-a-kind view.
- Hike, the Lake Placid’s most popular activity, and explore miles of marked hiking trails.
There are many family activities, discover outdoor Adirondack recreation for all ages and abilities. Whether you’re an avid boater, paddler, birder, hiker, biker, fisher, golfer, hunter, climber, or outdoorsman or woman, or just want to give it a try, Lake Placid has all the tools for you to create at perfect outdoor day.
Winter & Spring Activities in the Adirondacks
Winter in Lake Placid, NY, the weather cools and the snow falls and we find ourselves excited to enjoy a whole new set of Adirondack outdoor activities. Spring ushers in a rich lush green landscape as the snow thaws, and the promise of a mix of both winter and summer activities as we say goodbye to winter and gear up for summer.
Ideas of what to do in Lake Placid during winter and spring:
- Instead of rock climbing, ice climb using crampons and ice axes. See climbers around the region scale the frozen rocks. Our amazing area guides offer guided beginner trips so anyone willing and able can give it a try.
- Miles of frozen lakes make for a vast ice fishing paradise with shanties scattered over the ice.
- Runners trade in sneakers for cross country skis and snowshoes.
- Skiers and snowboarders carve the slopes of Whiteface Mountain and the expansive Adirondack backcountry.
- Ice skaters take to the Olympic Oval for public skate and Mirror Lake to enjoy a friendly game of hockey.
- Popular attractions such as High Falls Gorge take on a whole new look as the ice formations transform the rocks and cliffs into glistening sculptures.
Make your trip effortless
...and save the effort for the activities while you're here! Anyone can get out and enjoy these activities with the help of a professional guide. You know the saying “When in Rome” - well, when in Lake Placid, get out in it and book the adventure of a lifetime.
No matter the season the possibilities are endless—and your perfect day in Lake Placid can be whatever you make it. Use our online lodging tool to book your reservation online. It's so easy you can book today!