A Festive Annual Adirondack Tradition
LAKE PLACID, Adirondacks, USA — The Adirondack alpine village of Lake Placid invites all to experience a festive start to the season as it hosts the 7th Annual Holiday Village Stroll, complete with holiday shopping, family fun, arts and entertainment from Friday, Dec. 11 through Sunday, Dec. 13, 2015.
Lake Placid, New York is a popular year-round vacation destination set in the midst of the six million acre Adirondack Park wilderness. The two-time Olympic Winter Games host holds the distinction of being America’s First Winter Resort, as the famed Lake Placid Club remained open for the winter season during the winter of 1904. The area has beckoned visitors to play in the snow for over 100 years!
This December, the Holiday Village Stroll weekend is packed with plenty of activities for kids and families including a skating party, opportunities to visit with Santa, holiday movie screenings at the Palace Theatre, a tree-lighting ceremony, holiday crafts, story time and cookie decorating.
Grown ups will enjoy strolling Lake Placid’s quaint Main Street adorned with ice sculptures, holiday shopping deals, specialty drinks, live music throughout the village. In addition, the Jingle Bell Run/Walk is a fun race on a 2.5-mile course around the scenic Mirror Lake, in which hundreds of visitors and locals compete; festive costumes are encouraged!
Highlights of the Holiday Village Stroll weekend include:
- Free skating party at the Lake Placid Olympic Center
- Santa’s arrival by fire truck on Main Street
- Free classic holiday movies in the old-fashioned movie theatre
- Traditional Yule Log Hunt
- Mid’s Park Holiday Celebration with tree lighting and special performance with the Lake Placid school chorus
- Special Adirondack Christmas musical performance at the Lake Placid Center for the Arts
- “Golden Ladle” soup, chili and chowder competition with complimentary tastings for all, provided by local dining establishments
In addition to the weekend’s Stroll activities, area hotels are offering tremendous special package rates on accommodations.
Visit lakeplacid.com/holidays for a complete list of lodging options for the Holiday Village Stroll weekend and for the latest event updates.
Kim Rielly, director of communications
Regional Office of Sustainable Tourism