Ever wonder what it takes each year to put on an event the size of the Lake Placid Holiday Village Stroll? This year's event takes place from Friday, December 9th, through Sunday, December 11th. I’ll give you a little peak behind the scenes of this really fun event that has a gazillion moving parts (ok, maybe not that many, but a LOT).
No sooner is the event concluded for one year, then the committee is meeting to plan for the next year. The committee consists of a group of 20-some awesomely creative people, many of whom have worked on the event since the very first, many years ago. The sub-committees work on each portion of the Stroll from the free Ice Skating Party on Friday, to the free Restaurant Tastings on Main Street, to the free showing of the Polar Express movie on Sunday, and all the events in between. It’s a monumental undertaking every year.
The BIG list
With 23 different events happening around town during the course of the Holiday Stroll weekend, there’s a lot to keep track of to make sure things go smoothly. So, here’s some of what goes on behind the scenes…
- It takes more than a dozen restaurants and lots of volunteers to bring together the FREE Tastings on Main Street on Saturday.
- Santa appears four times during the weekend and listens to hundreds of children's Christmas wishes.
- There’s FREE live entertainment for the adults at at least four different establishments over the weekend - kick back with a cocktail and enjoy!
- More than 30 people dressed up in Santa suits last year and got FREE lift tickets at Whiteface (lots of fun)!!
- Nearly 30 businesses offer some form of retail promotion/discount/giveaway over the weekend for “Stroll-ers” as they shop Lake Placid's quaint stores and craft shops all over town.
- More than a dozen restaurants offer dining specials and features on one or all days of the Stroll.
- There are eleven FREE events for kids and families during the course of the weekend, including cookie decorating, skating, meeting Santa, the FREE movie showing of Polar Express at the historic Palace Theater, and much more.
Make your plans!
Our photo slide show above, gives you a vision of the fun and merriment we put together for one and all during the Holiday Village Stroll each year. Be sure you don't miss out on this memorable event. Check out our complete schedule of Stroll activities and events. Don’t delay - make your reservations for a Stroll package today at one of our participating hotels. Hotel packages include "Shopping Dollars" which give you more 'bang for your buck' while shopping during the weekend. Bring the kids (or not) and plan your whole weekend in Lake Placid! Hope to see you out strolling our beautifully decorated streets!
This week in related ADK behind-the-scenes news: