AFS Screening Series at LPCA: "A MAN CALLED OVE"
Stepping from the pages of Fredrik Backman’s international best-selling novel, Ove is the quintessential angry old man next door. An isolated retiree with strict principles and a short fuse, who spends his days enforcing block association rules that only he cares about and visiting his wife’s grave, Ove has given up on life. Enter a boisterous young family next door who accidentally flattens Ove’s mailbox while moving in and earning his special brand of ire. Yet from this inauspicious beginning an unlikely friendship forms, and we come to understand Ove’s past happiness and heartbreaks. What emerges is a heartwarming tale of unreliable first impressions and the gentle reminder that life is sweeter when it's shared.
One of Sweden’s biggest locally produced box office hits ever, director Hannes Holm finds the beating heart of his source material and Swedish star Rolf Lassgård, whose performance won him the Best Actor award at the 2016 Seattle International Film Festival, affectingly embodies the lovable curmudgeon Ove. “A MAN CALLED OVE” was nominated in 2016 for the Academy Award for Best Foreign-Language Film (which went to “The Salesman”). In Swedish with English subtitles.
High praise from the critics:
“A morbidly funny and moving success. Director Holm’s grip on the film’s tricky, tragicomic tone is masterful." - Odie Henderson, RogerEbert.com
“The dopes saying that movies are dead haven’t seen the moving, tender A Man Called Ove." - Nick Schager, Village Voice
"Darkly funny, tragic, and ultimately heartwarming." - Devan Coggan, Entertainment Weekly
"Touching, funny and engrossing." - Tom Long, Detroit News
Awards & Festivals:
* Nominated - Best Foreign Language Film and Best Achievement for Makeup & Hairstyling (Love Larson & Eva von Bahr), 89th Academy Awards®
* Winner - Best European Comedy, 29th European Film Awards
* Winner - Best Actor (Rolf Lassgård), 2016 Seattle International Film Festival Golden Space Needle Award
* Winner - Audience Award, Best Actor (Rolf Lassgård), Best Makeup (Love Larson & Eva Von Bahr), 2016 Guldbagge Awards
* Winner - Audience Award, 2016 Mill Valley Film Festival & 2016 Traverse City Film Festival
* Winner - Audience Award for Best Film, 2016 Scottsdale International Film Festival